“CAN” is a modal connected to different language functions, as we have seen. On my previous post on this, we tackled present and past ability (can, could, am/are/is able to, was/were able to) and here we’re going to review other uses.
What language structures or items can you use to make proposals? Lots!!
- Let’s go to the beach now!
- Why don’t we go to the beach?
- Would you like to go to the beach now?
- How about going to the beach? …
and… can and could
- We can go to the beach, if you like.
Or more usual / always polite:
- We could go to the beach.
POSSIBILITY (could; and also may and might)
- She could be downstairs, or She may be in the toilet.
and then, if you are less sure, if you idea is more tentavie, then say:
- She might be in the School Office (I think that’s less likely)
María is late!
- She may have missed her train. (perfect modals for things that must have already happened)
- She might’ve gotten lost!