- February 2014: see adjustments in green
- Jan 2014: Draft Plan for January
- Dec 2013. I changed when we’ll do the Projects. Dec 25
A. Using the Textbook – About 4 units (they might not be consecutive 1-4, depending on needs: we might jump to 5-8 and skip things in 1-4 for specific activities)+ Most Writings + Going through most Grammar Banks
We need to do a selection of listening activities you should not do at home before we have done them at Plenary. Later, at home, you should listen and listen to those audios, to learn to speak.
Speaking activities in class. At the beginning of the class, you should share your Questions, Stories, Useful Language, Mons, Dials (you can prepare dialogs with a partner, always based on the audios you use or exam format models)… or tell me you’ve prepared a mon, dial, or an OP (for this you should book a date first, because they’re usually longer) so that I can include it in the Lesson Plan! By now you should know how to work on your speaking at home on your own, so you can come to class and profit from that!
Routine: Every now and then Teams will check Reading, Grammar and Vocabulary exercises and then we’ll have a Plenary for doublechecking or for your questions. The importance of this exercise goes beyond checking your homework, because it includes communicating for real purposes. So make sure you collect Useful Classroom Language and a good list of sentences to overcome Communication Problems, so that you are fluent and accurate in saying those!
B. Course Plans: Textbook + Projects
About the Projects: I’m open to your initiatives — you can adapt my project ideas, or create your own. In any case, this year, each of you should take part at least in ONE teamwork Oral Presentation. We can arrange time in a lesson so that you talk about it, but you need to be ready for that, which means, if you don’t ask me for us to do that, I’ll understand nobody is preparing any teamwork and just do the Contingeny Plan. See BOOKS
- October: going through last year’s textbook, while learning the techniques, strategies we will be using this year (how to work on mons at home and in class, how to exploit your writing assignments and comply with requeriments, importance of listening to English every day in various ways and using a same audio in different ways, too, List of Mistakes, Brainstorming for Language, Outlines, Learning to Listen to Oneself and Fix Mistakes as you Speak…)
- November: unit 1
- December: Speaking & Listening Activities [Our Crazy Summer in groups where people have read it? Y5B?]. Projects: Audiobook Project in Teams (Great! People did it!!)
/ Contingency Plan: Dramatized Readings of TV series.
- January: unit 2 + Projects: All Y5’s: One Crazy Summer CAL Group: in groups, part 2 of collecting your list of Useful Classroom Language.] Audiobook Project Consolidation Stage (videos?) + Classroom Discussions: Nonviolent Communication + Languages in Spain (Y5B), (Y5A) … Watch movie for February Dramatized Readings!
- February: Exam Practice Month + Project: Dramatized Reading of Fav Scenes in Movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (small groups decide).
- March: 1 day for unit 2 and do unit 3 (+ Projects: Useful Language for Teachers, One Crazy Summer pending contributions, The Movie Project). Start reading Rosa Parks! (? Or if you didn’t do any of the other projects, you might want to prepare something on those, instead…)
- April: unit 4. Projects: Your fav. excerpts of the Rosa Parks autobiography or team OPs. Connections to the 15M. (Or no project, and we just watch a documentary and discuss it.)
- May: Oral Translation Contest based on Grammar Banks and Vocabulary Banks [and/or For CAL Group: in groups, collect your list of Useful Classroom Language so that you can present it in class.] Story of Stuff and/or another documentary.
C. Writing – Notice the units don’t match the months when we will be using those textbook units in class. use these C1 textbook pages to learn to write those kinds of texts. You can also expand or compare with my own notes on talkingpeople.net, or your Successful Writing resource book.
- October Writing. Informal email on people – Interacción
- November Writing in Unit 1. A letter of application + p. 13 on register – Interacción
- December Writing in Unit 2. An article – Expresión – Intro to articles
- January Writing in Unit 3. A review [OCS] + p. 41 – Expresión
- February Writing in unit 5. A report + A proposal (my notes) – Expresión
- March Writing in units 4 & 6. Pro/Con Articles – Expresión
- April Writing in unit 7. A complaint – Interacción
- May Writing … Replying to ads? – Interacción? Letters to Editors? Business emails?