May Writing: do the cover(ing) email/letter for a CV first and I’ll give you a handout on complaints for April.
Intermediate: 3 main types*
-Polite, impersonal tone (don’t be too personal at least, use a passive if you can).
- no contractions
- vocabulary: ask for – request; ask – enquire; want – would like
- formal linkers: So – Consequently, ; but – However, ; Then – Therefore, ; that’s why – For this reason
- passive voice: I can be contacted/reached at…
-Start with Dear Sir/Madam, Dear Ms Martin
-State reason why you are writing (using the present cont. preferably!)
-One or a few paragraphs on the topics you need to address / tackle
-Saying good-bye in a few steps, depending on kind of letter:
- complaints: (What you expect from them and you’ll do if they ignore you) + Thank your for your prompt reply + Looking forward to hearing from you + Yours faithfully, / Yours sincerely, + Your FULL name
- job-applications: Mention being available for interview when and contact info + Thank you for considering my application + Yours… + FULL name [NB: Attached CV]
- 1. Letters requesting / giving information
- 2. Letters of complaint
- 3. Job-application letters (Cover(ing) letter or emails with an attached CV) or applying for a course.
Letters by students:
*Expansion: Upper-intermediate – remember to buy Successful Writing, because you will be using it in Y4 and Y5!
- asking for/giving information
- requesting info, goods or services
- asking for/giving advice: I need some advice.
- inviting: We would like to invite you to…
- accepting/refusing an invitation: I will be delighted to attend to your wedding.
- congratulating: Congratulations for having passed your finals!
- apologizing/apologising, regretting: I am writing to apologize for not being able to attend yesterday’s lesson.
- thanking: I would like to thank you for making my stay in England such an amazing experience.
- expressing sympathy, condolescense: My condolences. / I am sorry to hear that your father passed away.
- giving news
- (avanzado) letters to the editor (solutions, suggestions) – see EOI Getafe’s Avanzado 2 examples.